Where are your design services available?
Tilly is a national landscape design firm offering services across the United States. Our designers have architectural and horticultural expertise in each region from the Northeast to the Southwest, even Hawaii!
Why should I hire Tilly instead of designing myself?
What is the difference between partnering with Tilly and a local landscape designer?
Tilly is a fraction of the cost, with the same professional results. While most design services start at $2,500 before even considering plant materials and labor, Tilly provides a Master Plan of your entire property for $775. Our designers work on your schedule and within your budget, with the added bonus of a lower carbon footprint saved from all those on-site appointments. And unlike many local professionals, Tilly will never tell you your project is too small.
Can I see your previous work?
I don’t know anything about gardening or plants, can I use Tilly?
I don’t know my garden style – does that matter?
Can Tilly work with properties of any size?
Can Tilly work with any budget?
How personalized are the designs?
What is Tilly’s design process?
Our process can be broken down into five steps:
- Tell Us A Little: After your online purchase, you will receive an email with a link to Tilly’s Space Assessment. This is where you can share your vision, environmental conditions, concerns, and goals for the space.
- Tell Us Some More: We request a selection of photos and documents to help the designer understand your space. The more you can share, the better!
- Show Us Around: Once all of your information is received, you will e-meet your designer and schedule a consult. We suggest a video call for this step.
- Get Your Design: You will receive an initial plan within 7-10 business days following your consult, with 30 days to request your revisions.
- Put It In the Ground: Use Tilly’s shopping list and installation guide to DIY, or simply hand over the plan to your local landscaper or gardener.
How long does it take to get my design?
Generally, from the time of purchase to delivery, our process takes 3-4 weeks. Timelines may be a bit extended during our busy season.
Do I need a property survey?
What should I expect from my design consultation?
Who will be designing my plan?
Can I revise my initial plan?
What is included in a design package?
Visit our Design Packages page and click “Learn More” to see what is included in each.
What is NOT included in a design package?
Can Tilly do hardscaping?
We often recommend hardscape materials and general placement within the broader scope of our design package, however we are not able to provide accurate elevations or construction documents. Furthermore, clients should be aware that hardscaping often requires permitting and our documents are not always suited for this. For examples of what we’ve done for previous clients, please refer to our sample package or online portfolio at #tillydesign.
I’m not sure which service is best for my needs, what should I do?
The main difference between our Consult and scaled plans (Front, Back, Full) is what you receive from Tilly. The Consult provides expert advice and suggestions without real specific placement of materials. A design package will provide a scaled map of your yard with very specific quantities, placement, measurements, etc. To compare Tilly’s design packages, visit here. And if you’re still unsure, please contact us with any questions.
Once I have my landscape plans, what comes next?
Your plans will include the exact size and quantity of plants you’ll need to bring your landscape design to life, an aerial map with plant placement, images of each plant, as well as detailed installation and maintenance instructions. Then you have three options:
- Hire a landscape contractor to manage the installation process for you, including the purchase, planning and planting of your materials.
- Order your plants from a local nursery or garden center, put on your overalls (or chic ripped jeans) and DIY.
- If you’re in the New York tri-state area, ask Tilly about our installation services.
What if my plant materials are not in stock?
While Tilly works hard to select commonly used materials, this is a very regular occurrence across the industry. It’s rare that any one retailer or wholesaler will have everything listed on your plant schedule. To help our clients navigate this challenge, Tilly created this blog post on the topic.